The process of egg donation is carried out in two phases. The first phase is known as ovarian hyperstimulation, where the donors receive a series of hormonal drugs which cause the ovaries to produce multiple mature eggs during one menstrual cycle. The most important step is to find a donor of Intended parents choice and intended parents can provide their choice after accessing the egg donor database (egg donor profiles).
Egg retrieval happens during the second phase. In this phase, the mature eggs are removed from the donor through a surgical procedure called transvaginal ultrasound aspiration. Throughout the course of the procedure, the egg donors should spend around 60 hours for screening, testing, and medical appointments.
There are three classes of drugs that women generally receive during the ovarian hyperstimulation phase of donation. Several commercially available medications are available under these three classes:
- Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Agonist Analogues
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) or Human Menopausal Gonadotropin (hMG)
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
The process of egg retrieval
Through transvaginal ultrasound aspiration, a tube is attached to an ultrasound probe, and a suctioning needle is passed into each ovary to remove mature oocytes from the follicles. To prevent nausea Oral promethazine(maybe) is used during the egg retrieval procedure. Post-procedure, 1-2 hours of stay is required for the donor in the clinic and then she can return to her home for further recovery. Then a follow-up exam and ultrasound one-week post-retrieval. Oral antibiotics such as doxycycline are prescribed to prevent infection.
How Egg Donation Works?
- We receive eggs from the donor with her consent and some legal formalities. This process will take 12-14 days after menstruation/monthly period cycle.
- To produce healthy and maximum eggs Hormonal injections(FSH/HMG) is given to the egg donor from day 1 or 2 of menstruation. Ultra Sound reports are used to monitor the growth of donor eggs. And injections are stopped two days before the procedure when the egg sizes reach 17-18mm. Mature are retrieved under general anesthesia. This procedure takes almost 30 minutes and the donor is able to go home in 3-4 hour after pick up.
- Whole egg pickup procedure takes almost half a day and donor will be free to do the normal activity from the next day of the egg retrieval procedure if she feels well and normal.