Some women conceive within the first month after unprotected sex. But it has not happened for every woman. Normal conceiving even can take longer than a year also. It has been found from a trusted source that almost 30% of pregnancies outcome can occur within the first month.
The successful conception possibilities steadily decline after the first month of actively trying for pregnancy. However, several healthy couples who have no fertility issues can get positive outcomes after the end of the first year.
According to CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), there is a higher possibility to get pregnant within the first year after actively trying for conception. Following is the approximate chances of conception without any fertility issues:
- 75% after 6 months
- 90% after a year
- 95% at 2 years
But infertility definition varies because of age factors.
- In a younger couple within 35 years of age, infertility can be suspected after being unable to become pregnant within one year of unprotected sex.
- For couples more than 35 years of age, infertility can be suspected after being unable to become pregnant within six months of unprotected sex.
How long can it take to get pregnant?
Individual factors are responsible for delaying conceiving. It is always suggested to consult with a doctor for better advice if someone is unable to become pregnant even after one year of unprotected sex.
Reason for difficulty in pregnancy
Following are some reasons that women facing difficulty in getting pregnant:
- Sperm health issue
- Ovulation disorder
- Age factor
- Anatomical shape abnormalities in the uterus
- Single or both fallopian tubes blockage
- Egg quality and quantity
- Unknown infertility issue
How to increase pregnancy chances?
Following are some steps that can help a woman to get pregnant:
Wight management, both over-weight and underweight reduces the possibility of getting pregnant.
- Healthy eating habit
- Vitamin supplements at the prenatal stage to support fetal development
- Maintaining a diary of menstrual cycle and ovulation
- Performing tests for sexually transmitted infections that can reduce fertility scope
- Pap smear test conduction
- Avert tobacco or marijuana smoking
Consult with a doctor about medication side effects that may impact sperm quality and count
Avert exposure to toxic chemicals and heat that can cause sperm disorder
Having sexual intercourse at the right time of the month starts around day 10th day of the egg cycle and then every other day up until ovulation
Women with regular menstrual cycles have greater chances to get conceive faster than women with irregular menstrual cycles due to ovulation irregularities. Ovulation for women with menstrual cycles can occur any time between 9–21 days of the ovulation cycle.
Usually, couples who fail to conceive after one year of unprotected sex consult with a doctor. However, some couples who have concerns about their fertility meet healthcare professionals earlier to discuss their health issues. A variety of fertility treatments is available. The doctor advised the treatment based on initial health assessment test results like general health condition, hormonal balance test, thyroid function test, ovarian function test, prolactin level test, metabolic condition testing, uterus, and fallopian tubes examinations, anti-müllerian hormone test.
Treatment of abnormal findings improves a person’s fertility. Sperm analysis is also a very important step before advising any treatment, as sperm quality and quantity both are essential for successful conception. Following are less-expensive fertility treatment options:
- Weight management
- Medication for ovulation induction to induce one egg release
- Intrauterine insemination in combination with ovulation induction
- Superovulation treatment that stimulates the release of two to four eggs
Following are some expensive fertility treatments doctors may advise if the other treatment options are unable to offer positive outcomes:
- Surgical intervention for correction of reproductive organs
- In-vitro fertilization
- Controlled ovarian stimulation for more number of eggs are stimulated